By Katherine Kerr, APR
NEW YORK — Members of the media panel for the “Re-Imagining the Religion Beat” plenary offered several suggestions to increase the likelihood of getting media coverage at a time when news holes for faith-related stories has shrunk.
Among the recommendations were:
- Be responsive.
- Anticipate potentially newsworthy stories, including those related to breaking news.
- Have background on your organization readily available.
- Have a spokesperson available.
- Keep audio and visuals in mind when pitching stories or creating media events.
- Don’t “stalk” a reporter or editor after sending a press release.